Thursday, July 18, 2013

Who are You?



Identity Poem: Who are You?
Read the following poem, Child of the Americas, written by Aurora Levins Morales and inspired by her multicultural heritage and diversity.
The poem reflects one of the cultural values of Latin America: – the celebration of cultural diversity.
Write a poem following her format, or create your own, describing your own ethnic background. If you are a naturally talented poet, that’s great. If you are not, do not worry. You can use this poem as the base and fill in words that fit your own heritage.
I am a child of the Americas,
a light-skinned mestiza of the Caribbean,
a child of many diaspora, born into this continent at a crossroads.
I am a U.S. Puerto Rican Jew,
a product of the ghettos of New York I have never known.
An immigrant and the daughter and granddaughter of immigrants.
I speak English with passion: it’s the tongue of my consciousness,
a flashing knife blade of cristal, my tool, my craft.
I am Caribeña, island grown. Spanish is my flesh,
Ripples from my tongue, lodges in my hips:
the language of garlic and mangoes,
the singing of poetry, the flying gestures of my hands.
I am of Latinoamerica, rooted in the history of my continent:
I speak from that body.
I am not African. Africa is in me, but I cannot return.
I am not taína. Taíno is in me, but there is no way back.
I am not European. Europe lives in me, but I have no home there.
I am new. History made me. My first language was spanglish.
I was born at the crossroads
and I am whole.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment