Friday, September 20, 2013

Discussion: It takes an Expert


Question: Do you have process that no one really understands unless you ask someone how to do it? For example, how hard is it for you to log onto a computer and see your performance measures? Does your organization have data that you need in order to make a decision, but you have no idea how to get the data?
If I ask you to tell me your organization’s key strategies for the next five years, do you know them….or even know where to look for them.
If I ask you for your daily revenues (sales), do you know how to get them or do you have to call someone in accounting.
Do you know if your customers like you? How hard is it for you to find out, and why do you have to ask someone?
If you had difficulty with any of the above–plus many other possible questions—how can your organization be focused on value creation when internal processes are problematic?
My Answer (I work in corporate hospitality (not hospital)):
I need to reply back to two of my colleagues comments below, please don’t just say “I agree.”
Cymetria Dillard
The data that I need to carry out my specific jobs duties is easily accessible. My department devoted time to specifically correct any errors in our electronic system that may cause problems for me, or any other users. Management makes our software user friendly because there is always a need for training, and there are different types of users across the boards that have access to our programs. Those people include physicians, nurses, secretaries, and other ancillary staff members.
I am not sure, however about my organizations long term goals and plans. Our plans change with each group of new patients that arrive to our unit. Sadly, sometimes management tends to keep certain details from staff. I’m not sure about the motives behind the method. Perhaps to keep the staff from getting anxious, or stop any potential disagreements or debates that may arise from their decisions.
Our hospital-wide system is generally easy to utilize. I feel like a great population of staff would agree about our technology system. If there is a question about how to use software or programs, there is are training modules and a wonderful information technology department that can assist with any needs. As far as management discussing terms with their employees, that can be resolved with simple communication. Effective communication can solve many issues that arise in the workplace, no matter the sector.
Sharon Benson
I feel my organization has the right intentions to be transparent and have a free flow in sharing of information. With implementation of a new financial system, the financials seem to be more accessible for the whole institution. We use to have to request access to certain reports and then actually be told that we were not able to access that level of detail. Now all financials are public for the whole institution. With any new financial system, come some issues. Some of the data it seems it not real time but it is being worked on a continual basis. Another area I’ve seen improvement is the strategic management portion. We have recently received emails on where our institution is headed and given opportunities for feedback. This is the first type of communication for input I’ve seen. Usually it is top executives meeting on the issues without regard for employee input. We are on the right path but needs some tweaking.

Click Here To Get  More On This Essay!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment